This Belgium led project seeks to give small waterways a new commercial capacity by providing a push barge concept for transnational containers services. This should facilitate shipping transport by using existing waterways and without requiring large infrastructure investments.
Both Belgians and Dutch partners will facilitate inland navigation by working on accessibility to the new logistic solutions which they offer, to increase economically viable freight transport through a modal shift from road to water. To the barge terminal operators, the project will offer integrated trunk-feeder services in both countries. They aim to strengthen links between sea-ports and their hinterlands by increasing the use of small waterways, and to stimulate public-private partnerships in the process.
- maintains/improves the competitiveness and attractiveness of metropolitan areas
- promotes the redistribution of economic functions among metropolitan areas
- promotes medium-sized cities and over-shadowed metropolitan areas.
- provides greater equity in access to opportunities across NWE.
- addresses brownfield sites, inner-city areas or contaminated sites
- aims at containing urban sprawl and/or protects green belts and spaces
- relates to the revitalisation of the urban fabric through new identity.
- relates to metropolitan development trends in NWE;
- relates to spatial planning policies and procedures in NWE;
- improves the knowledge base of the territorial structure of NWE.
- development of metropolitan planning strategies and practice towards better integration of the objectives of the Measure
- innovative planning approaches adopted;
- more creative and efficient metropolitan development strategies through the involvement of civil society and the creation of public-private partnerships
- better co-ordinated implementation of EU sectoral policies (transport, energy, industry, tourism, environment, research etc.) with the objectives of the Measure.
- availability of a more substantial knowledge base on the metropolitan systems of NWE.